Phoenix Hill is a diverse, historic and thriving neighborhood.
The Phoenix Hill neighborhood, settled before 1850 by German immigrants, is now a rich tapestry of people and a diverse mix of business, industry and residences. The neighborhood includes:
a large Medical District
a thriving arts district
a thriving entertainment district
social service agencies & agencies that serve the homeless
small family businesses and larger industry
single-family homes, market-rate apartment complexes and subsidized housing complexes
new and historic churches
It is a neighborhood of mixed but compatible uses. Much of the residential part of the neighborhood is included in the National Historic District. It is a great place to call home or to locate your business. We welcome you to the Phoenix Hill Neighborhood.
The Phoenix Hill Neighborhood Association, Inc.The Association was organized in 1975 by local business and community representatives and later restructured to include all segments of the community - as a collateral neighborhood organization dedicated to the revitalization of the Phoenix Hill area of downtown Louisville, Kentucky. The Phoenix Hill Neighborhood Association, Inc. is considered a Charitable, 501-C3, Non-Profit Organization by the IRS.
The Association was integral in the development of two major housing complexes (Phoenix Hill Townhouses and Phoenix Place Apartments) and was responsible for the development of the first Affordable Housing Homearama - showing that a market did exist for new single-family homes in the neighborhood.
The most inspiring aspect of the Phoenix Hill Neighborhood Association 's success is that all of this has been accomplished by voluntary efforts of concerned residents and businesspeople. The people of Phoenix Hill have had an association to turn to with their concerns for over two decades. Community outreach is the most basic and important function of the association. As a result, the voice of one grows into the voice of many, thereby increasing the likelihood of accomplishing the desired goal.
Mission Statement :
- Promote community organization, education and dissemination of information on issues of concern to the neighborhood
- Promote the continued development of Phoenix Hill, with attention to minimal resident displacement, deterioration of existing structures, assimilation of new developments, general physical blight and structural rehabilitation
- Enhance the environment through educational programs as well as the retention and development of civic, recreational, social, cultural and religious facilities and/or activities
- Encourage and promote the historic identity of Phoenix Hill as a neighborhood of mixed but compatible uses
Phoenix Hill Local Development - Developing a Better CommunityThe Phoenix Hill Neighborhood Association is active in the development of its vacant land and abandoned properties into sustainable, affordable single family homes. To date the Association has played a key role in the development of nearly fifty new single family homes within the neighborhood.
Supporting Our NeighborsSince its inception, the Association has deemed it necessary to provide businesses and residents support, social services and referrals.
We work closely with a number of local organizations:
- Crime Prevention - Louisville Police
- Property Code Violations - Office of Inspections, Licenses and Permits
- Landlord/Tenant Disputes - Legal Aid Society
- Utility Problems/Payments - Project Warm and LG&E
- Liaison to City Government, Louisville Metro Council and Office of the Mayor
- Neighborhood Pick-up/Clean-up - Operation Brightside and Louisville Public Works
|Link's to Other Phoenix Hill Neighborhood Association Pages|
|Phoenix Hill's Board of Directors|
|Phoenix Hill's Business Members|
|The Phoenix Flyer Newsletter|